Col's Construction Blog
About Me
Col's Construction Blog

Hello! Welcome to my blog. My name is Col. I live in Perth and I have a passion for construction. I am pretty useless when it comes to construction work so I tend to leave it to the experts. However, I find that there is nothing more pleasing than seeing a team of construction workers complete a job. Over the years, I have hired many different types of construction worker and they have all taken the time to chat with me. During these conversations, I have learnt so pretty interesting things which I will be exploring on this blog. Enjoy!

Col's Construction Blog

Land Subdivision in Australia

Ethan Burton

Subdivision of land refers to the process of dividing land into two or more lots. If you are a developer, selling land in small lots is more profitable than selling it as a huge parcel. In Australia, the subdivision of land is quite a lengthy process. You have to ensure that you comply with the required regulations for you to get titles for the new lots. Below is a guide on the land subdivision process. 

Visit your local council

Visit your local council's lands department and inform them of your intention to subdivide your land. Have your certificate of title and a sketch of how you intend to subdivide the land. Your local council will advise you on the due process. Also, you will get to know if there are any zoning regulations that may prevent you from subdividing the land as you intend. The local council may also deny your request if your land is too small to be subdivided.

Find a lands surveyor

Once you have an approval to subdivide the land, you need to get a lands surveyor to create a subdivision plan. Your choice of lands surveyor should be qualified and experienced in lands survey. Besides, he should have a good reputation. The surveyor will use specialised equipment to create a plan that conforms to the local council's regulations. Your surveyor will also ensure that each lot has access roads, power and water. You may choose to engage an urban planner if you are planning a mixed development in an urban area. 

Take your plan for approval

Once your lands surveyor prepares a plan, it should be taken to the council for approval. He or she may be asked to make adjustments to ensure that the plan meets the council's requirements. It is vital that you observe the set deadlines when making changes.

Follow up

After your plan is approved, you should follow up with your local council until you get titles for each of the new lots. Your council's planner will keep you updated on the progress. It is essential that you remain patient as the process might take quite some time.


Local councils charge a fee for the various approvals. Inquire about this to know how much money you need. You also have to discuss the terms of payment with your surveyor.

To subdivide land, visit your local council to know if it is possible to carry out the subdivision. Find a surveyor, take your proposed plan for approval and follow up on the process.